Friday, September 10, 2010

Fish Springs National Wildlife Refuge



Fish Springs National Wildlife Refuge is located in the far western Utah desert west of Provo, UT and about 25 miles from Utah's Nevada border. FSNWR is a continuously flowing set of natural springs in the center of nowhere. The Federal government has built a series of dikes which create several large shallow ponds. It is a stop over refuge for migrating birds unlike Bosque del Apache which is also a wintering destination.

The springs are at the base of the distant hills behind the refuge sign. From the ground, one would not even know it was there.

The old Pony Express trail went near the springs for obvious reasons. A dirt road marks the trail even today. The trail can still be traversed across Utah and Nevada today.

In February, I was the only visitor. There is a visitor's center staffed by one or more BLM people. I drove around the large ponds on the dikes looking for birds primarily. The longest lens with me was only 200mm, too short, of course, for most birding. I did learn that the many of birds tolerated my getting close whilst in the car but took off if I stopped and got out to photograph. I am going to return soon armed with my 300 mm and 1.4 TC. I also purchased a bean bag and have practiced photographing from the car window.

No comments:

Post a Comment