Tuesday, March 23, 2010

B&W conversion of Abandoned home in Mammoth, UT

I have seen an earlier photograph of this particular abandoned building in Mammoth, UT taken several years ago and displayed on site showcasing ghost towns of Utah.  Time has not been kind to this home.  I especially liked the winter snowy setting and the B&W conversion.  Mammoth is in the Eastern Tintic mountains and this view shows the Tintic Valley and Western Tintic Mountains in the background.  The B&W conversion was done with SilverEfex Pro using a red pre-filter which enhances the contrast between the high cirrus clouds and blue sky.  The rustic nature of the old weathered wood is enhanced by increasing contrast. 

Even with the high clouds, the sunlight was very harsh at midday.  I did not have my tripod, so I could not image the dynamic range using High Dynamic Range (HDR) imaging.  Instead, I shot in RAW and processed in NX2 utilizing the "highlight protection" feature to minimize blown highlights.  I made no attempt to recover detail from the darkest areas inside the house.  Finally, I did utilize the NX2 U-point feature to select and darken very slightly the snow in foreground. 



No comments:

Post a Comment